Student Leadership Opportunities
The summer Peer Advisors work closely with DGS advisors and administrators to gain necessary knowledge to assist incoming freshman in planning for their first semester of college. Peer Advisors:
- Learn about the academic advising profession by being an integral part of Summer Registration
- Collaborate with DGS academic advisors, administrators, and other campus partners
- Facilitate morning small group meetings for DGS students during Summer Registration
- Assist new students with registration of courses for the fall semester
DGS has a student group called DGS Leaders. This group serves several purposes:
- Help the DGS Assistant Director for Admissions at admission related events
- Meet monthly with the DGS Director to provide feedback on DGS services.
- Help at DGS events such as the Majors and Minors Fair, Spring Into Action, and Major Exploration Week.
Both current and former DGS students are eligible to participate in the DGS Leaders program. Students have completed at least one full time semester at Illinois and have a 2.5 or better GPA. Applications are accepted in early September each year.
The role of the Media Intern is to assist staff with the creation, development and maintenance of DGS communications.
Internship Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the DGS Director with the development of a new website
- Assist with the maintenance of DGS social media presence on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and other platforms as appropriate
- Assist Admissions Director with publications for recruiting and yield efforts. This could include, but is not limited to, creating publications, videos, and presentations for prospective and admitted students
- Assist with the redesign of the DGS Advising Handbook to be given to incoming freshman and transfer students during summer registration.