General Studies 101, commonly known as GS 101, is an exploratory class that introduces the opportunities available to you through DGS.
Exploring General Studies
GS 101 is a 10-week course taken during each DGS student’s first semester on campus. This course fulfills the 1 credit hour orientation requirement for all colleges.
Taught by DGS advisors and administrators, this course introduces the information and skills that will help you have a successful undeclared experience and transition to Illinois. Classroom discussions will examine strategies for addressing common challenges facing undeclared students, enhance time management and study skills, and help you develop a greater self awareness in the academic and broader community contexts.
After completing this course, you will:
- Be familiar with the processes and tools available for exploring potential majors and careers.
- Understand the intercollegiate transfer (ICT) process.
- Know of and use the personal, academic, and career resources offered by the University and DGS.
- Be aware of the tools and procedures related to course registration.
- Develop skills to successfully transition to Illinois.