Main navigation


A cancellation or withdrawal means you are ending your enrollment in classes; it does not necessarily mean that you are formally ending your admission to Illinois or your ability to register for later semesters.

Before the Semester Begins (Cancellation

You may cancel your registration before the first day of classes. A cancellation results in the removal of all tuition and fee charges for that semester.

  • Log in to UI-Integrate Self-Service, find the registration module, and select “add/drop classes”. Use the “web-drop” option for each of your classes. When you attempt to drop your last class, the system will ask you to confirm that you intend to cancel your registration. If you agree, an electronic notification will be sent to the UIUC Registrar Office to complete your cancellation. More information is available at the Office of the Registrar.
During the Semester (Withdrawal)

Once the semester begins, you can no longer cancel, but you can request to withdraw. If you experience extenuating circumstances that require you to leave campus for an extended period of time or encounter events that negatively impact your ability to progress academically, you can exercise your option to withdraw.

  • If you fail to follow the official withdrawal procedure—e.g., you simply stop going to classes and leave campus—you are still responsible for tuition and fee assessments and will earn 'F' grades in your classes.
  • Refunds for tuition and fees are provided on a pro-rata basis depending on the date of withdrawal. Special refund policies apply if you withdraw to enter active duty in the armed forces or other approved national defense.
  • Requests to withdraw after the ninth week of the semester must include additional documentation showing extinuating circumstances. Additionally, your ability to enroll for subsequent semesters may be impacted.
  • More information and applicable refund deadlines are available at the Office of the Registrar.
  • Call our office to schedule an appointment with the Director of DGS.
  • If approved at your appointment, you will receive an official withdrawal form. This form requires you to obtain signatures from several campus offices prior to its submission to the Office of Admissions and Records.